Viewpoints: rocks, towers, mountain peaks
Rudawy Janowickie Mountains
tourism, mystery, dreams...

Viewing tower in Radomierz

A lonely tower, a fragment of forgotten history encircled by walls, catches the eyes of tourists travelling through Radomierz. The first records of a Catholic church here date back to 1312.

Schaffgotsch family tombstones adorned the interior, but as the years passed the church fell into ruin, and in 1849 the tombstones were taken to Cieplice where they were incorporated into the wall built by the church. Today only the old Gothic tower is left, with the hollow ringing of its remaining bells. The largest of them was cast in 1612, and bears the inscription Bernhard von Schaffgotsch. The medium bell dates from 1576, and the small one – from 1595.
Following thorough renovation, completed in 2012, the tower recovered its former lustre. The reconstructed building adjacent to the tower houses a Tourist Information Point, the first information point on the route into the Giant Mountains, the Rudawy Janowickie, Izerskie and Kaczawskie Mountains.


Today the tower affords excellent views over the Rudawy Janowickie, Giant, Izerskie and Kaczewskie Mountains, as well as the Jelenia Góra valley. Before heading on, it’s worth taking a good look at the mountains from the tower in Radomierz, as there is no such panoramic view from the peaks in the Giant Mountains.


Translation Jonathan Weber

SiteLock