Bobrów

Bobrów

345-360 m above sea level

Situated in the Bóbr valley at an altitude of 345-360 m, the east end of Bobrów village borders the Sokole Mountains in the Rudawy Landscape Park.

Stretching for 2 km along both banks of the Bóbr river, hugged by the road from Łomnica to Trzcińsko, Bobrów lies in Mysłakowice commune.

As it is located close to Jelenia Góra, and is served by the city's public transport, it only has a modest selection of shops and services.

Bobrów's layout differs to other villages in the area. In its lower section it practically flows into Wojanów, forming a seamless continuation, while its upper part is split off by the narrowing of the Bóbr valley, squeezed by the Buczek and Dębek hills. You can still find many old houses from the 19th and early 20th centuries in the village, including villas, boarding houses, timber cottages, and half-timbered and timber-and-brick buildings.

History

In 1592 the village was named Boberstain, which evolved to Boberstein in 1668, and since 1945 it has been known as Bobrów.

According to certain (unconfirmed) information, the foundation of Bobrów may date from the 15th century. This suggests that it was founded after the neighbouring Wojanów. There was probably a watchtower castle by the Bóbr river some time around 1450. Another piece of information not fully confirmed is that of a knights' tower and small stronghold that stood here in the 16th century. This tower was probably converted into Renaissance style, although other sources suggest that it was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War. Its owners were the von Zedlitz family, who sold the property in 1669 to Anna von Nostitz. She in turn sold it on for the sum of 7,500 thalers to the prior of the Jesuits in Jelenia Góra, Hans Kottig.

Bobrów was mentioned in the year 1726 as a fair-sized village, providing 209 thalers in taxes, while the property itself made 616 thalers. 39 years later the Bobrów estate was estimated to be worth 13,797 thalers. Few people lived in the village, and they included 16 crofters, 6 craftsmen, 21 serfs and 6 peasants. Barely 21 years later the number of crofters had grown to 55, and documents listed a grange and watermill. Records from 1737 reveal that the next owner of Bobrów was Count von Schaffgotsch, while later information tells us that the village was the property of the Jesuits until 1769, although later on it was confiscated from them for debts. In 1776 Bobrów was bought via auction for 10,000 thalers by Daniel von Buchs.Bobrów and Wojanów, as neighbours, frequently shared a single owner.

By 1825 the village had expanded significantly, and numbered 71 homes, a grange, a watermill and an Evangelical school. As the village was without a church, the faithful attended the Evangelical parish church in neighbouring Karpniki or the Catholic parish church in Wojanów. Bobrów's owner was then Karl Sigismund von Rothkirch. In 1836 Bobrów passed into the hands of Ernest von Kockwitz, who paid 24,460 thalers. Year by year Bobrów was growing, more homes were being built, and a post office – shared with Wojanów – was opened. Around the year 1870 the Renaissance manor was converted into a magnificent residence, and together with its outbuildings it became a tourist attraction, and was described in most of the guidebooks of the day.

Because the village is picturesquely situated and lies close to Jelenia Góra, and in addition crosses the route into the Sokole Mountains and to the 'Swiss Cottage' (part of the romantic park at Karpniki castle), it began developing as a summer holiday centre. In the 19th century many of the village's houses were developed as boarding houses for tourists. Sadly, war left Bobrów in a sorry state in 1945; it had lost its summer holiday character and fallen into decline. The residence mentioned above survived unscathed, changing its function over the years. In time Bobrów became a farming village, surrounded by farmland overgrown with copses of spruce. Compared to the 40 farms operating in Bobrów in 1978, by 1988 only 24 farms were listed in records. Agriculture is no longer the villagers' main occupation.

Translation Jonathan Weber

Literatura:

1. "Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów. Rudawy Janowickie". Red. M. Staffa. Wyd. I-BIS. Wrocław 1998