What to see?
Rudawy Janowickie Mountains
tourism, mystery, dreams...

Trzcińsko palace

According to German chronicles, around the 15th century the Schaffgotsch family were owners of landed property in territory then belonging to the Duchy of Jawor.

The property’s owners included Schaffrupel, known as the Lord of Rohrlach, some time around 1608, Count Graf von Bernard Schaffgotch and – in 1638 – Rudolf von Planitz.


Going by an illustration most probably dating back to the baroque period, one may presume that before the palace was built on this site there was a timber manor characteristic of its time, with outbuildings.
From 1742 the property was in the hands of village’s catholic hero, Heinrich Leopold von Borowitz, who – belonging to a religious minority – assigned some land as a place for burial (today’s cemetery). He confirmed this fact with a seal (a family signet ring). In addition he helped build the cemetery chapel, known as the “little church”, and fitted it with a sacristy, organs, altar, pulpit and liturgical vessels. The knight Erb Lehn became the palace’s next owner, and after him, around 1790, the property was bought by a major of the Kingdom of Prussia, the “free man” Paul Eberhard von Pfeil, ancestor of the Pfeil dynasty of Silesian counts (a descendent of this line currently lives in Łomnica).
The count’s wife, Eleonora Beata von Pfeil, moved into the property in 1797. She and her husband provided financial support for the construction of a church in Trzcińsko. When the church was completed, the couple no longer living, portraits of the count and countess together with the family coat of arms were hung in its vestibule.


Around 1818 the property was bought by a former high-ranking royal official, Ernest Friedrich Buchwald, who soon became a court official in Trzcińsko. His wife, Anna Susanna, died in 1825, and a few years later Karl Goltz inherited the estate from his father-in-law, to die after 10 years at the age of 62. In 1841 the property was purchased by Graff Wilhelm zu Stolberg-Wernigerode, about whom little is known.
The next buyer, in 1849, was count Leo von Schliffen, born in Konigsberg. He had a military education, and was a highly disciplined, upright citizen. The palace, together with its outbuildings, was most probably erected on the site of the old baroque manor in 1852. During the palace’s construction, its owner resided in the hunting lodge. In 1862 the property passed back into the hands of the Stolberg family. Their son, Graff Eberhard zu Stolberg-Wernigerode, was born in the new palace in 1873. In 1882 the family of Baron von Egloffstein resided in the palace, and in 1885 the Count’s family celebrated their diamond jubilee in Dresden. Ten years later, on 11 November, Countess Elizabeth zu Stolberg died, followed by her husband in March 1898. The property was inherited by their son, Graff Constantin zu Stolberg (president of Hannover province), who also held patronage over the manor in Janowice Wielkie. He died in 1905.
After his death, his son Eberhand – who had graduated in natural sciences – took over the property. He died in 1929 following a tragic accident while cleaning his hunting weapon. The next owner, managing the property up until 1945, was Christian Friedrich zu Stolberg-Wernigerode. The Stolberg family – Count Eberhard zu Stolberg with his wife Barbel – continue to visit their ancestors’ property to this day.
The palace was pulled down after the Second World War.


Translation Jonathan Weber

SiteLock